I’ve lived close to the sea my whole life. I was born and raised in Estonia, on the shores of the Baltic, and then moved even further north, to Sweden. In a bid to escape the frigid, long, dark Nordic winters, I moved to Ireland a decade ago, and made Dublin my home.
I started painting inspired by the beauty of Dublin Bay, by the indescribable quality of its light as it changes through the day, by its enchanting seascapes. In my paintings, I weave my own universe of emotions with a study of my environment, creating purely abstract works and surreal landscapes with bold colors and strokes. Color has become my main language, and it is the one I speak best.
Today, my paintings have homes across the world, in Sweden, Norway, Australia, Germany, The United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Spain, The Netherlands, Estonia, Ireland, United Arab Emirates, and in New Zealand.
Thank you for visiting my website. I hope you thoroughly enjoy the pieces in the gallery. If you would like to have your very own original Jaanika Talts, please head over to the ‘Shop’ or contact me for a customized work.
ARTISTIC PRACTICE TIMELINE
- April: Became a resident artist at The Gaslamp Gallery, Gorey, Co. Wexford
- May 27-28: Featured artist in The Gaslamp Exhibition at the House Event, RDS Dublin
- June : Became a full-time visual artist
- August : Awarded a 10-day residency at the Cill Rialaig Artists’ Retreat, Co. Kerry (to be taken up in 2018)
- January 10: Jaanika’s painting, Fáistineach (Future), was presented as a gift to President Michael D. Higgins at the Opening Ceremony of the 54th BT Young Scientist & Technology Exhibition. (Work commissioned by BT Ireland)
- 21 February: Opening of a 12-month exhibition at the Carré d'artistes Gallery in Bordeaux, France, featuring 40 abstract works.
- May: First solo artist exhibition at The Gaslamp Gallery, Gorey, Co. Wexford